sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

After the alarm went off and was silenced, the car won't start.

Customer Question

After the alarm went off and was silenced, the car won't start. The dome light is on, suggesting that the battery is good.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: What code?
JA: It's a tool that mechanics use to help diagnose what's wrong with a car. Not to worry - the mechanic will know how to find that out. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best. It's a tool that mechanics use to help diagnose what's wrong with a car. Not to worry - the mechanic will know how to find that out. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: It's my sister in law's car. She gets back from Florida on Wednesday. I would like to have the car running before she arrives.
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: 1998. ca. 150,000 miles. What will this consultation cost?
JA: Huh? OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!There are many things that could be causing a no start condition. It's definitely possible that the battery could be low, the starter may have failed, it could be a cable or connection issue, wiring, the ignition switch, it could be a transmission range sensor related issue. It's also possible that it could be an alarm related problem.Is the alarm aftermarket or factory?You mentioned silencing it. Did you actually disarm it? If so, how?