Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I'm trying to bring an 1989 MR2, which has been garaged for

Customer Question

I'm trying to bring an 1989 MR2, which has been garaged for 15 yrs.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Tore it down to replace water pump, and not sure if I have correct hdwr to even assemble water pump! have 4 @ 10mm bolts, realize that one of the larger diameter bolts to block... can't determine how to secure other two..
JA: So many things can cause water pump issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them.
Customer: also
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: assume starter might be rusted from sitting 15 years!
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: Yes, realized I was in over my head long time ago, but have the time to deal with it now, but not the memory!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. Below is the install procedure I show for the water pump on this model here.If you need more info let me know and I will see what I can locate on this. https://www.dropbox.com/s/a507s5qzpeevpp3/wp-05-09.gif?dl=0 INSTALLATION OF WATER PUMP 1. Place the water pump 0-ring on the block and install the pump with three bolts. Torque the bolts. Torque: 150 kg-cm (11 ft-Ib.-15 Nm) 2. Install no.2 and no.3 timing belt covers with gaskets 3. Install a new 0-ring on the oil level gauge guide. - Apply small amount of engine oil to 0-ring. - Push in the oil level gauge guide with the 0-ring. - Install the mounting bolt. 4. Install the inlet pipe and a new 0-ring to the water pump with the two nuts. - Install the inlet pipe clamp bolt. - Connect the water inlet and water by-pass hoses to the inlet pipe. 5. Install water pump pulley and alternator drive belt and tighten the four bolts. 6. Adjust drive belt tension. 7. Refill with coolant. 8. Start engine and check for leaks. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete