Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics
18617752

Started 2011 tundra 5.7 Friday and the traction control, check

Customer Question

Started 2011 tundra 5.7 Friday and the traction control, check engine lights went on and the 4hi is blinking. I got the codes read and it came back with C1201engine control system malfunction then 5 P033c Knock sensor. I reset the codes but they came back after a couple of seconds of engine run time.
JA: Diagnosing the correct check engine code is the key to getting a quick fix. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with this type of thing. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Haven't decided -
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: I don't think so.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 months ago.
The C1201 is not actually a "trouble code". This code simply states that seeing as the engine light is on, the VSC and Trac systems are in fail-safe mode. This is a self-preservation mechanism in case the reason the Check Engine light is on can harm or affect these systems. So, fix the reason why the check engine light is on, and this code will clear itself.P033C is pointing to a problem with the Knock Sensor for Bank2/Sensor2. It's saying there is either a short in the wiring to the sensor or the sensor itself has failed. So, carefully inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, replace the Bank2/Sensor2 Knock Sensor. On this vehicle the knock sensors are located under the intake manifold, so it will need to be removed to gain access. For an image location view, click here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vuhwh7m2f2c4szi/toy-knock.jpg?dl=0If my answer has helped you, please help me and rate or accept my answer.Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A. If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know! You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 months ago.
..