Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I got a 05 corolla , 62000 miles, ac compresor only engages

Customer Question

I got a 05 corolla , 62000 miles, ac compresor only engages when the fan is set on high , and then some times work for hours and some times work for a few minutes and then starting to blow warm air
JA: Since a working air compressor is essential to a functioning AC system, it's best to check out any issues with a mechanic ASAP. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes i did take the shims of the cluch but dont really help
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I take the ac compresor clutch apart and take the shims off ,that way the compresor works all the time
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: No everything work fine , the fan blower works fine in all settings but only on high is when blow cold air
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This sounds very much like a faulty AC relay for the compressor clutch. Have you replaced the relay labeled MG CL that is in the fuse panel in the engine compartment?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes i replace relay 1 and 2
Does the AC light blink when the problem occurs?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No and replace inside cab air filter also , notice that just to make the ac work when start blowing warm air is to turn the fan off wait like 10 sec and then switch all the way to high
Has anybody added refrigerant to the system, and do you know the AC system pressures?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes i did when the ac start blowing warm air ,the gauge show that was good on freon but i put a little bit more just to make sure ,but dint help , so next thing i did was to take the shim off the cluch and that help a little
Taking the shim out should make no difference in the the operation. The shims are there to provide the necessary clearance when the clutch disengages. If taking the shim out improved the condition any at all, this sounds like you have a faulty compressor clutch assembly.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well i was told that when the compressor start going bad it loose some of the magnetism when compressor get hot, and with out the shim the clutch is closer to the magnet, what i dont understand is way only engage when the fan is set on high
What is most likely happening is your compressor clutch is indeed faulty. Turning it off allows the coil to cool off. When you turn it back on, the coil magnetizes the outer plate, which is what causes the internals of the compressor to turn. The shim is there just to allow the clutch outer plate to separate from the pulley. What you need to do here is turn the fan on low or Low Mid and see if you have power to the compressor clutch wire. If you have power in the wire for the clutch, the clutch is faulty.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok i check that tomorrow , and if that is the problem, i need to replace the ac compressor or i can buy the clutch only?
You can replace the clutch unit separately
If you have any other questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thanks i find your advise very helpful , thanks
You are very welcome.