Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

2011 highlander driver's window. Made clunking noises

Customer Question

2011 highlander driver's window. Made clunking noises for a while, then jumped track with limited up and down. I pulled interior panel and found rear bolt had fallen out. I fished it out of the door body and reinstalled it. Window works up and down, but runs out of the track. The rear glass edge clears track groove by 1/4" and tends to lean inward.
JA: Doors are something you never think about until they start to act up. Fortunately, the mechanics are real masters, and it would be my pleasure to connect you with the best one for this. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Glass tabs appear intact (not broken).
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: 64K miles
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thanks for postingIf the door panel is still off be sure that all 10mm bolts for the window regulator are tight and none have fallen off, make sure the glass attaching bolts to the regulator are tight, if all that checks out replace the window regulator.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, now for "page 2". t turns out the regulator was fine. There is a vertical track in the front edge of the door, well hidden from view. The glass had jumped that track and slid forward, running alongside the vertical track. Once I found that, I got it all back together and everything (locks and glass) works fine. Until today. I took it for a ride to make sure I had sealed up the plastic sheet for wind noise, etc. When I got home, I went to open (the automatically unlocked) the door, and it would not open. I tried the inside handle, the outside handle and even with the key. It would open three out of a half dozen tries, until it quit altogether. I can hear the actuator motor cycling (properly, not a hum) with all three methods, but the door will not unlock, nor can I get the door open. While I am very careful about watching what I do, I am getting older and yes, I do make mistakes once in a while. My first guess is that the cable from the door handle jumped out of place, but it should work with the key and outside handle by my thinking. I want to pull the interior panel off and look it over to see if I can see the problem, except I can't get the door open to pull the panel. Without opening the door, the panel won't come off, without the panel off, I can't open the door.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 1 year ago.
Ok, you can get the panel off but you'll have to remove some of the interior trim, the center pillar (B pillar) cover, the trim piece between the doors, the inner seal around the door, the sill plate below the door, all of these are just held on with plastic clips, there is most likely going to be some cosmetic damage to the door panel, you'll have to pry it off the best you can, that is the only way I have ever gotten the panel off on any model toyota.