sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I replaced the passenger side tail light and afterwards, I

Customer Question

I replaced the passenger side tail light and afterwards, I can't get it into gear (unless I turn my lights on), and the brake lights don't work until I turn on my lights, then they stay on all the time.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.
Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.From your description sounds like there is a bulb backwards, or if you had to do any rewiring there's a circuit backwards. The brake lights circuit is associated with the shift interlock if this circuit is open the shifter remains locked. Let me know the year and model of this vehicle and I can look further into the issue. I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We purchased a new light unit through our Toyota Dealership, removed the old one and replaced it. No bulbs were touched. No wiring was touched. 2004 Toyota Sienna LE
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.
I understand, simple plug and play and it didn't work out as planned. What was the problem with the original unit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took it to the dealership to fix, they were stumped. Said the harness instrument fuse box Assy J31 was needing to be replaced part #82141-08341, but it just doesn't make sense. Everything else works fine. It didn't start doing this until we replaced the tail light (which we ordered from the dealership).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I backed into a gate, and it broke
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.
Oops. One last question and I'll look into some diagrams of this circuit and see if i can find the problem(s). Do you have a lamp out display on the dash, or an indication that there's a bulb out? I know these vehicles are very picky about their bulbs. All the bulbs must be the same brand, this includes the bulbs on the right sideas well. Different brand bulbs have different resistance values in the tungsten element and kinda freaks the system out. Sounds crazy, but true. Let me know if you have a bulb out indication.Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No bulb out indicator, and since I purchased the unit from Toyota, I assume it's a brand that's acceptable to the car?
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.
My oops this time, I meant to say left rear bulbs.
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.
Just a quick check would be to disconnect the left rear tail lamp assembly and see if shifting and the brake lights work properly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I'll go try that. BRB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I disconnected the light unit, and still wont shift into gear
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.
I'm still here, About all I have is to check the grounds at the left rear and the ground for the right rear at the C pillar just behind the right side door.
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to opted out. There are to many circuits involved for a simple online solution for me to figure out. With the information provided another expert may pick up where we left off.Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok....
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!Did you get the problem resolved?