Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Hybrid system warning light came on JA: The mechanics have

Customer Question

hybrid system warning light came on
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: no I don't
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Toyota Mechanic to figure that out. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 2004 Prius, Hybrid light, VSC, Check engine, !, came on. I drove home. Now only the engine check light, Warning triangle, and Hybrid System Indicator is on.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If possible
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: ECM has been changed once.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 5 months ago.
Hello, welcome to just answerI see the moderator already asked you about diagnostic trouble code information , unfortunately I will need some basic information to start to help you with a solution. Since the check engine light is on we may be able to do this without having you go to the dealer. The check engine light may be the root cause of the other lights turning on so we need to go there first. If there is an Autozone, O Reilly or similar autoparts store nearby you can drive over there and they can assist you in getting the check engine light codes, these are usually a letter followed by three or four numbers, for example a P0301, P0171 the P indicates a powertrain malfunction code, the auto parts store does this as a courtesy do not charge a fee, except in California. Please record the exact code numbers and let me know, take your time , tomorrow is ok, I'll be here most of the day, thanks.