Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

JA: . How can we help? Customer: My dashboard

Customer Question

Hello
JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: My dashboard light on my 99 Toyota is off where can I find the fuse to check if it is that?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I need to know where to locate the fuse for the dashboard light and the gear shifter light. Thanks.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I alreay checked the fuse box and all the fuses in this box amd all of them are fine, however none of the fuses specify the dashboard light and the gear shifter light.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: No. That's it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 10 months ago.
Hello, thanks for posting Check and see if the tail lights are working, if not replace the 'tail' fuse in the fuse panel on the inside, the dash illumination and tail lights are on the same fuse.If that wasn't the problem I need to know what year and model Toyota it is and if you have either a voltmeter or a 12 volt test light
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The tail lights are fine. Is a Toyota corolla 1999 1.8L. And I don't know if it is a 12 volt or a voltmeter.
Did you check to make sure the dash illumination rheostat control is not in the off position?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I didnt. How can I do that?
There should be a rotating knob on the left side of the dash, in may be clicked in the off position, turn that knob and see if the dash lights work?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok I will do that.
Ok, let me know if that worked for you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hahaha. Sorry I didn't quite understand the question at the beginning but I already tried that.
Ok, just wanted to make sure, do you happen to have a 12 volt test light or a voltmeter?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a voltmeter, i thknk.
Let me look at a wiring diagram and get back to uou
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok
Remove the dash light control switch (rheostat) it should just pry out of the dash, check the green wire, it has to have 12 volts to it with the key on.