sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Second question on my 2005 Toyota Prius my right front

Customer Question

Second question on my 2005 Toyota Prius my right front light and right rear brake light keep going out, have been replaced multiple times but keep going out. Mechanic says the headlamp assembly ballast needs replacing and will cost $462.03 to do it. He says the Rear needs the entire tail light assemply replaced and will cost $242.50 to do that. I've looked up and found there was a class action suit against Toyota for all 2006-2009 for this exact problem. The case was won, but I've got a 2005 that is doing the same thing. Any suggestion so that I don't have to keep putting $750.00 out every few months?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!You wouldn't have to spend the money to do these repairs every few months. If the root cause of these issues is actually the ballast and the tail lamp assembly then once the repairs are completed you shouldn't have any continued issues, either of these parts shoudl last for years.If the cost is an issue then you can use either aftermarket or used parts, but you would find shortened life/lower quality with either of these over new factory parts.