Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

My 2015 tundra is shutting off when it's hits a bump. This

Customer Question

My 2015 tundra is shutting off when it's hits a bump. This has happened pullin out of parking lots. It will also shut off when idling at times like at a stop light. When this happens, it can take up to ten minutes before the truck will start again. The ignition will crank but not fire. No codes showing on dash, occasionally a "maintenance required soon" message will appear for about 60 seconds. 2015 tundra 1794 5.7 4wd. I have an appointment with a dealer Monday, battery is secure, no apparent loose wiring. Help
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If possible, I am mechanically inclined. Not my first toyota.
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: Yes, previous owner installed a secondary alarm system/auto start. I'm thinking this is the faulty part in the equation.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Thank you
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 7 months ago.
Hi, I'm sorry you are having problems with your tundra. I will try to help. I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there. I tend to agree with you that it's the aftermarket security system. And I bet the dealer will say it needs to be disconnected first before going on with the checks of the system. Most are installed under the drivers dash and hooked on to the ignition system near the ignition switch. Do you know if this is the case with yours?
If it is, look carefully ate the connections that are spliced in here and wiggle them as its running, they may be bad. If not jiggle the alarm main controller box and see if it kills it. If not then I'd suggest by passing the alarm and drive it to see if it still occurs.
To do all of this it will most likely take some time and if it was installed in a professional manner the wires will run in a loom or will be taped together in a loom which means you will need to open them up to check them and the connections out. Do you have any electrical tools like crimpers, wire butt connectors, black tape and a soldering iron?
Let me know so I can continue to assist.
Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't see anything. Checking under hood I see a sticker that says this is a remote starter, the fob for the starter does not do anything.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's looking like this is just a remote start system? Still not seeing a receiver or base mounting area. And the remotes do nothing. They are coded to the door locks it seems, but nothing else
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Shit. Found it. Up near steering column. Wondering if I can just disconnect?
If you disconnect it probably won't start as the disabling part is run thru the alarm. They usually cut a circuit and run it through the alarm "brain". So to answer if it's connected right no it won't work. Sorry.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay. This is definitely it. I was poking around and stalled the engine for a moment. Perhaps a call to the manufacturer is in order. It's very difficult to get to. I'm trying to drop it down
I guess try disconnecting and see if it will start. If nothing happens then it's an alarm as well. Let me know.
Thanks
Sonny
Ya it sounds like your problem. I don't know if the manufacturer will help until u pull it down and check the connections. I'm glad you were able to find it so fast tho. Most of the time electrical problem take a while to find. If my info helped I'd appreciate a positive rating. But if I can be of more assistance please ask.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I gave the box a little
More breathing room under the dash. I fee like it may have been pulling on the ignition switch. I haven't had a hard start or been able to stall it since moving the "apparatus" I'll keep you posted. Thank you-
I'm glad it's better for you. :-)
I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny
Just wanted to check if this fixed your problem? Let me know if you could, and if it didn't fix it I'll try to assist further.
If it did fix it, and I was of help, please give me a positive rating as I don't get compensated unless you do.Thanks
Sonny