Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

Went to start my 2009 Prius -- no dashboard display, only the

Customer Question

Went to start my 2009 Prius -- no dashboard display, only the "stuttering" sound coming from under the hood. Changed out the battery (12V) as it was 7 years old and had only 8 volts, thought this would solve the problem. No go. Have had to jump start the car before with no problems -- this is the first time I've had no dashboard displays at all, no response except for the stuttering sound like it wants to go but it doesn't.
JA: Battery issues can be tough to diagnose - lots of things to consider. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes, would like to try any remedies that I can before taking it to a shop.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Changed battery. Used different key fob - the keys open the doors -- could it be that the batts need to be changed ? Have never done this - had them for about 6 years. Disconnected the 12v brake power booster and plugged it back in. Tried to jump start.
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: Car was running fine up until 2 days ago.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Jared D replied 7 months ago.
It's possble that the ignition fuse popped when you replaced the battery. Have you inspected any of the fuses yet? The IGN fuse controls the instrument cluster so that's the fuse I would check first.
Expert:  Jared D replied 7 months ago.
The IGN fuse is in the fuse box under the dash on the driver's side.
Expert:  Jared D replied 7 months ago.
Hi,Did you still need help with this? I never received a response.