Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet

1997 4runner had soft roll over onto top was upside down for

Customer Question

1997 4runner had soft roll over onto top was upside down for less than an hour. Was running fine before accident. When I attempt to start it it try's to turn the engine just clunks. Battery is dead, I even tried jumping it with booster. Acts like when battery goes so dead that it takes a while to charge it up. Is there a safety inertia fuel switch ? If I did not know better it's acting like it has a short and is grounding out
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Toyota Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes I am working on it
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Jumping it with booster , checked fuel lines , fuel filter, and cables and starter wires
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: Had soft rollover but was running fine before now it won't turn over
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
When you crank the engine is the clunk noise that makes a hard metallic clunk?It's possible that oil drained into the cylinders and caused a hydro-lock condition. This is really common when an engine gets flipped upside down.Can you place the transmission in neutral and attempt to turn the engine over by hand with a breaker bar or large ratchet on the crank pulley?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can try that tomorrow as soon as rain and lightning stop. If it is a hydro lock how do I fix it? Also the clunk sounds like the starter engages but is not strong enough to turn it like when a battery is dead and takes a while to jump it with cables. Also charged battery , but it goes dead over night. It's a new battery
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
That definitely sounds like a hydro-lock. What happens is the cylinders fill with oil, fuel and sometimes a mixture of both during the roll-over. The only thing you can do is remove all of the spark plugs and see if the engine will crank over when you turn the key or turn the crank by hand. Turning it with the starter will be more effective because the engine will crank fast enough to push the oil and fuel out of the engine through the spark plug holes. This is going to make a huge mess, but it will get the cylinders cleaned out. If you are able to purge the oil/fuel out like that then you could reinstall the spark plugs and see if the engine will start. If it does it's going to smoke like crazy for a few minutes and then it should hopefully clear out and salvage the engine.
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
I'm going to call it a night, but I'll check back in with you tomorrow to see if you are able to get it to crank.
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
Hi,Did you still need help with this?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just got tools tonight and a new charged battery. I an going to get at it around 2pm today. I will update you I am hoping it goes good and I get or started . Thank you for your help. It is most appreciated
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
Sounds good. Thanks!