Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.

I was losing coolant in a 1997 Toyota Corolla last October

Customer Question

I was losing coolant in a 1997 Toyota Corolla last October and the radiator was replaced. The next morning, the overflow tank was empty and the repair shop said there was air in the line. I have still been losing coolant in various amounts, daily, for the last 6 months, more coolant when the overflow tank lid is on tight, less coo[lant if cap is not on tight. The dashboard temperature gauge registers in the middle. Even though the temperature gauge does not indicate overheating, it is extremely hot under the hood and inside the car after I drive the car. I think that it needs the coolant temperature sensor to be replaced. Should anything else be checked? The check engine light is not on.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No. I plan to take it into a repair shop.
JA: OK! The Toyota Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: It has 248,000 miles on it, but other than the coolant problem, drives well, with no history of major mechanical problems.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 months ago.
Hi There, I'm Clay a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.From your description most likely there is a leak and the coolant is evaporating through the leak. The leak being so small you wouldn't be able to see like a drip on the ground or under the hood. After the vehicle is turned off the engines cooling system goes into after boil or commonly called a hot soak. During a hot soak the engines temperature rises because there is no coolant flow and the cooling fans are off, this is a normal occurrence. The leak however is not. What an automotive shop can do with the proper equipment is pressurize the cooling system when it's cool and look and listen for leaks. Trust me it's a million times easier to look for leaks under pressure when the engine is cool than when the engine is around 250° during a hot soak. Since you have no check engine light on and no problems with the gauge I see no problem with the engines coolant temperature sensor.I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.Thanks.
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 months ago.
Hi There,I noticed you had viewed my answer, and I hope the information I gave was helpful. Let me know if you have followed through with my recommendations. If you have any questions, please let me know.Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.Thanks so much.