carguy1
carguy1, auto technician
Experience:  25 Years experience all makes and models.Nissan factory trained,Certified Subaru Tech
2921078

My key fob went through the wash and my 98 Camry has it's alarm

Customer Question

My key fob went through the wash and my 98 Camry has it's alarm on so I'm a bit locked out
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: My theft system is on and I can't deactivate it because the wireless fob shorted when it went through the wash.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Preferably, yes.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: Just that it's a 1998 Camry
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  carguy1 replied 9 months ago.
Hi there,You should be able to disable the alarm using the key on the door. Turn it to the unlock position for about 30 seconds and it should turn the alarm off.Make sure not to lock yourself out in case the key doesn't work the lock. Then close the hood and all doors. Lock it using the power lock switch on the driver door and close that door. Wait about 30 seconds for the alarm to set, then unlock the door, wait another 30 and open the door. This should disable the alarm system.Please try it and let me know.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
So put the key into the driver's side door and hold it in the unlock position for ~30 seconds?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
And that is just to stop it from screaming?
Expert:  carguy1 replied 9 months ago.
Yes, it should turn the alarm off.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm not sure I'm doing this right. The alarm keeps resetting when the door opens or is open
Expert:  carguy1 replied 9 months ago.
You mean the alarm is going off?Try unlocking the passenger side door and see if it makes a difference. Perhaps there is an issue with the driver side key cylinder.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Will try that
Expert:  carguy1 replied 9 months ago.
Ok, please let me know.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Didn't help. Would I be able to get an aftermarket fob and program it even though the alarm system is active?
Expert:  carguy1 replied 9 months ago.
HERE is the procedure. I can't be sure if it will work or not with the thing already going off, but I don't think it would hurt to try it.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
And it shouldn't matter if it's an LE?
Expert:  carguy1 replied 9 months ago.
No, it won't matter. I am pretty surprised we can't get it to turn off with the key to be honest.
Expert:  carguy1 replied 9 months ago.
Double checked, the LE is the same instructions.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is a copy of the original key. Should that matter?
Expert:  carguy1 replied 9 months ago.
Not at all, the wiring on the door switches should send signal to the control unit that you have manually unlocked the doors turning off the alarm. If you are like me though, you never used the key to lock and unlock the car, so it's really quite possible the contacts are bad on the cylinders. So then it's not sending any signals