Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Pearl, My wife Kathy, was driving our 2006 Prius and the

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, My wife Kathy, was driving our 2006 Prius and the instrument panel lights and center console info panel went dark. everything(?) continued to function. When she arrived home (after stopping to buy an assorted fuses pack) we got out the owners manual and lifted the hood only to find that there is no comprehensible diagram for what fuse does what and that the fuses are not the standard type fuse for most vehicles. So we checked a couple of fuses, pulling them out and replacing them and then turned on the engine and everything was working again.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes So my questions are 1. where do we get a good fuse diagram 2. where do we get the right sized fuses and2 Do you have an idea of what might be wrong
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: What I tried was in the 1st message. Am I chatting with a real person or a computer?
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: No, that's it, Thanks
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. This doesnt sound like a fuse issue since they did come back on again and start to work and most likely one of the fuses you pulled and reinstalled reset the electronics for the instrument panel allowing them to operate again.I have seen this reset done before to correct issues like this here temporarily.On some models a dealer has to reprogram one or more computers to correct an issue like this here to keep the control unit/ecu that controls these components on line so this doesnt occur again and in other cases a control unit/ecu may need replaced.What has to be done here on your model is to have the fault codes read out/checked using a compatible scan tool or computers plugged into your vehicle to see what codes are set then from there those codes diagnosed and repaired to correct this fault.You can get complete wiring diagram info at https://www.alldatadiy.com/.They do charge a small fee but the fee is usually good for one year on your model. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete