sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Replaced wiper transmission on 2006 Toyota Camry cannot get

Customer Question

Replaced wiper transmission on 2006 Toyota Camry cannot get them to realign
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Replaced right for transmission on the 2006 Camry cannot get the wiper blades to realign
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes vendor for about 12 hours
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Took it off and on about 10 times to adjust the arms don't have any markings on it can't find anything in any book
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Camry.By realign, do you so that when you turn the switch off, the wipers park in the correct down position?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Where you able to see my last reply? I have net received you phone number yet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not going to pay more money to get an answer if I can't get it I'll just cancel everything
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!As mentioned above, installing the wiper arms would just require running the wiper motor with the arms removed, turning the switch off and allowing the motor to park, and the installing the arms to the position you want.Can you explain exactly how you've been attempting to install them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The motor does not stop at the bottom it comes back up which makes the blade go to far south into for back up in the windshield
You're installing the arms without parking the motor then. Remove the wiper arms, turn the key on and turn the motor on. Turn the motor back off and allow it to stop. If the park switch is working correctly it will stop in the parked position. Then install the wiper arms to the position you want.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know what the parks which is but it goes down and then comes back up
The park switch is in the motor and causes the motor to park in the correct spot when the motor is turned off. If the arms are going down and then back up it's because parts have been installed incorrectly. You need to remove the arms, turn the key on and turn the motor on. Turn the motor back off and allow it to stop. Then install the wiper arms to the position you want.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done that 20 times at least and it still goes down and comes back up if I adjust the wiper blades to go farther up they will come down in the middle of the windshield
What was the part number of the part you replaced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replace the wiper transmission and then I replaced both wiper arms
Please provide the part number of the exact part you installed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bought one online did not fit went to the junkyard got one out of the 2006 Camry made in the USA the exact same one part number is ***** the car on the backside
Did you take the arm off the wiper motor or did you pop the linkage off at the bushing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used my wiper motor put it on the wiper transmission
I assumed that. On the wiper motor there is a short arm that is attached with a nut. Did you remove this from the wiper motor or did you pop the linkage off of that arm?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I remove the nut and put it on the new wiper transmission
How did you ensure this arm was clocked correctly to the motor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I can't find any markings on it and done the Internet and could not find anything about it that's why I'm with you guys
There aren't any markings, if the arm is removed for some reason then you need to make sure it gets back to the same position and without the motor turning. If you removed that arm you needed to do so without allowing the motor and linkage to turn, the new linkage needed to be placed in the same direction as the old when removed, and then the arm placed back to the same place on the motor and then tightened. Then you can reinstall the assembly, run the motor to make sure it's parked and install the arms. If you didn't make sure the linkage was in the same direction when installed and didn't install the arm on the motor in the correct position then it's going to be trail and error from here to get it correct.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well it's obvious something is wrong and I didn't do it right because I thought there would be markings on it that's why I pay 20 bucks for you guys to help me out it sounds like I've spent 20 bucks for no reason
Unfortunately we're unable to help physically. What you need to do is remove the nut and remove the arm from the motor, run the motor to park it, and then rotate the arm to where you believe it will be in the correct position. Reinstall the nut, park the motor, reinstall one arm and run the motor to see what it does. If the linkage wasn't installed in the correct position and the arm not in the correct position you will have to keep adjusting until it is correct.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately that's the problem I don't know how to readjust I have adjusted it 100 times already Toyota should come out with some kind of markings
I've never seen a vehicle with markings on wiper linkage, correct installation is up to the installer.As I mentioned you need to remove the arm from the motor, park the motor and turn the linkage and arm until it appears correct, reinstall the arm, park the motor again and reinstall a wiper arm to see what it does. You can make small adjustments at the motor from there.If you're not able to do it then a dealer or shop most likely wouldn't charge more than .5 labor if you bring them the vehicle in a partially assembled state as it will only take a few minutes to adjust.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Every vehicle I have researched has a mark of some kind to align the motor to the wiper transmission unfortunately toe Yoda does not have any YouTube videos for Internet videos anywhere to show you how to do this I am not stupid I just can't find how to do it so I have tried trial and error evidently I have wasted 20 more dollars
In over twenty years of field experience and just short of sixteen at a dealer I haven't come across a wiper motor that is marked for linkage. It's going to be trial and error from here using the method I described.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank u for ur patience but you actually haven't helped much already tried and did what you have suggested thought that I would get a professional
I would recommend seeing a shop or dealer if you're unwilling to attempt further adjustment. They shouldn't charge more than .5 to 1 hour of labor to repair it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to keep this line open to let you know what the dealer found out because I know it's something simple I just haven't figured it out
Not a problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to apologize for getting so short with you yesterday but I was totally frustrated after sleeping on it all night long get up early this morning take everything back apart it's not perfect but it will do I did not know you could take the linkage off the motor just by popping it off lesson learned thanks again
You're welcome, and that's much appreciated!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After reading your email again and again took it apart 2 more times it's finally PERFECT !!! Thanks again $20.00 well spent . Toyota wanted 70.00 just to look at it
Excellent, I'm glad you got it fixed!
If I have been helpful rating my performance as OK service or higher will give me credit for helping you.