Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 4 cylinder engine turbo that does not start,it cranks

Customer Question

i have a 4 cylinder engine turbo that does not start,it cranks but does not turn over, getting spark ,also getting fuel, not sure what else to test
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. What kind of car is it? Toyota, Honda, Ford, Chrysler, etc.
Customer: toyota
JA: Huh?
Customer: huh what
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I HAVE A TOYOTA TERCEL
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: 4 CYLINDER
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a engine swap in this tercel its a ep82 engine code : 4efte, its not much different from the 1996 original paseo engine, the 4efte is just turbo. So to give you a more complete scenario, I was driving on the highway at around 80mph when suddenly i hear like a few meteal clanking noises comming from engine,pull over shut car off, i find out i'm leaking oil from what looks like the seal from my valve cover,so towed it home, took of valve cover noticed it was all completely intact so I just put some red rtv, started her up the next day but noticed I was still leaking,so quickly shut it back off , cleaned everything and found out it was actually leaking from intake camshaft cap/gasket. Decided to replace intake camshaft cap and exhaust gasket as well. made sure everything was at TDC while putting timing belt on . Now I try to crank it over but will not start .All the fuses are good. connected a spark plug to a spark plug lead wire and connected that to one side of a jump starting cable and other end of jump starting cable to the negative battery post. Tried cranking over, the spark plug was good and is shooting spark, So moved on to see if its fuel, I already have a external fuel gauge hooked up and everytime i try to crank it over it shoots up to about 3.5 bars where it should be and shoots back down when I stop trying to crank it over so, not sure where to go from here to solve this problem.
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.
HI, Do you have noid lights as well as a scan tool with live data feed? We need to check for rpm signal from the crank sensor as well as injector pulse. We also need to check engine compression, so you need a engine cylinder compression tester as well
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a what piggyback fuel injection controller if you know what theat is so ,I know my rpms are reading and my compression should be fine but will get it tested early tommarow , and will also borrow a noid light to check.
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.
HI,Ok, check for injector pulse and compression and let me know the results tomorrow and will go from there. I am here all day everyday
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok will i still need a noid light if im getting fuel pressure , to the fuel pressure regulator
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.
HI, Yes, as the noid light is to check for injector pulse signal from the computer. You can get plenty of fuel pressure to the injectors, but if the computer is not sending an injector pulse signal, they dont open and close, so essentially no fuel