Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

2003 Corolla factory alarm works well except that it sets itself

Customer Question

2003 Corolla factory alarm works well except that it sets itself without locking the doors.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The alarm goes off without locking the doors, so if you are working on your car, or just leave it in the garage when you open the door the alarm goes off.
JA: A blaring car alarm can be frustrating and (for you and your neighbors.) The mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Looked for a fuse, looked in owners manual, no help.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: No that's it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. This can be due to a faulty door latch position sensor to where the sensor may be sending a false signal that the door is opened when it is locked even though it is actually unlocked.I have seen these fail before in the past needing replaced.If you have not had the fault codes checked at all this needs done to see if there are any codes set related to this fault.This needs done with a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers in your model.The scan tool can also be used to monitor the door position signals in most cases to help locate a latch sensor at fault.If found to be an issue usually the entire latch itself will need replaced.Most common is the drivers side door as it is the door that is used the most. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please let me try to clear this up a bit.If we do not set the alarm by locking the doors it turns on the alarm by its self without locking the doors.If we open any door after about half a min. the alarm goes off.Do you still think it is a faulty door latch position sensor?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay. A faulty door latch position sensor will cause this type of fault here as I have seen before even with the issue occuring with the doors unlocked.I would have the signals checked to see if one or more are found to be an issue. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anyway to turn the alarm off completely because getting a new door latch for a 2003 isn't worth it?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
The only way this may be able to be bypassed is to locate which latch is sending an incorrect signal and try and bypass its wires to see if this then disables the alarm for this faulty sensor.This would have to be checked though to locate which sensor is at fault first.Other then this I dont see any other way to bypass it unfortunately. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ask this same question of Alan Jay Toyota in Sebring Florida, they didn't have a clue. I would like to ask them what they think and if they can fix it?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
You can ask them to see if they can monitor the door latch sensor signals to see if they can locate one as an issue here.Then they can determine from there if it can be bypassed as well as how to bypass it. Thanks Pete