Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

My 2007 Prius is not starting but it is showing the check engine

Customer Question

My 2007 Prius is not starting but it is showing the check engine light and humming as if it was on. The interior lights are weak as well.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: When I originally got in it showed the warning symbol and everything seemed fine. The power locks are not working as well but the park indicator is on.
JA: It's good that it's giving you information about the problem. The Toyota Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I would prefer to if possible.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: Not to my knowledge. It started fine last night.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Never mind. I figured it out.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 5 months ago.
Hello, thanks for posting This may just be due to a discharged 12 volt auxiliary battery located in the trunk, do you have a voltmeter handy or a way to jump it with another car?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I already jumped it and went through all my past reports for the car maintenance. The most likely cause is a failing cell in the 12-volt car battery. Thank you for responding though.
You're welcome.