Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Good JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated

Customer Question

good
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: it does not start once
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: probably through the throttle body
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: hello
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: the can doesn't quick in the morning
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hello?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
my toyota tacoma 2003 model doesnt start fast , until i step on accelerator then crack it before it will start
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
HI,I need to get the engine size and whether petrol or diesel
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
3.4 ,it is petrol
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i want to know where should tachometer be when the engine start ? 1 or 2 ?
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
HI, Ok, while it is possible that the throttle body is the issue, slow start may also be due to a weak fuel pump so we need to first test the fuel pressure. It should be 38-44psi. If under that, replace the fuel pump. If over that, replace the fuel pressure regulator. If ok, then we will check the throttle body operation
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i want to know where should tachometer be when the engine start ? 1 or 2 ? without any load on it i mean it been engaged
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
HI,When the engine starts it is usually around 1000rpms and then settles to 650-700rpms when idling.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the fuel pump and the fuel pressure regulator are ok tested by a mechanic ...but sometimes a different mechanic reduce the voice of the car on the throttle body so since then the problem started . there is two both on the throttle body (1 is closer to the sencor and the throttle lever) they are use to adjust the speed or voice of the car...
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
Hi,I am not sure what "voice" of the car is
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the bolt are 8 bolt and nut very small ......when you part and the sound of the engine is very high ,the diff mechanic reduce the engine high sound from the two bolt and nut on the throttle body
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
HI, I will opt out as I am not sure what you are referring to. If another expert can help, they will reply here
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 7 months ago.
Hello, The idle speed is not adjustable and the throttle body is not adjustable, your mechanic is doing the wrong thing the adjustment is set at the factory, the computer controls the idle. The problem is most likely the idle air control valve on the bottom of the throttle body, try replacing it and clean the inside of the throttle body, remove all the carbon deposits. The idle when the engine is warmed up should be about 700-750 rpm,