Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, 32 years, diagnostic/repair / electrical specialist

Camry: I have a 2001 Toyota Camry that I just bought on spec.

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Toyota Camry that I just bought on spec. so I have NO back round at all, it is the V6 model with an Auto. The car has 250K miles, when trying to start the car, it ALMOST started, very close!! Trying an obvious simple fix, I replaced all plugs, wires and coils. now the car actually starts, BUT it only sort of idles, when you apply gas it does nothing, even if I shoot starting fluid down the throttle body it will not accumulate any RPM. It seems to be getting hot in the rear of the engine bay, because I am seeing smoke, like the exhaust is over heating. Please advise. Thank you
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Randall C replied 6 months ago.
Hello, by your description, you have a blocked cat converter. It can be blocked from misfiring over time, age, degrade etc etc, It is not allowing the exhaust to breathe and you will not get any power from engines and,, it will run hot and heat will radiate from rear area of the engine, The cat converter is part of the front exhaust pipe, Some shops can cut old one off and slip just an aftermarket one in. I am not in parts, so you will have to check availability but and am quite certain this is the problem by everything you have described
here is a link to the layout