Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

How to mount a ham radio antenna on a 2016 RAV4 Hybrid

Customer Question

how to mount a ham radio antenna on a 2016 RAV4 Hybrid
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When I mounted the VHF/UHF antenna on my Prius I used a trunk hood mount that screwed onto the hatchback hood edge on the passenger side and a similar mount for my HF antenna. I had low SWR on both with the internal tuner and the HF has an Automatic Screw that lengthens or shortens to match the SWR. I don't see a similar edge on the new 2016 RAV4 Hybrid Limited.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know. You might have to check with an auto accessory install facility on this here to see if they can get an adapter you may need or a kit to make this fit and work on this model here.If this was already attempted with no success let me know. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
As a Ham Radio person, most of my efforts are DIY. I made my Home Station VHF/UHF "J-Pole" from 1/4" copper tubing, soldered it with a gas torch and mounted it to my roof line running the coax wire into my first floor radio "shack." I strung my 135 foot long homebrewed Dipole, 60 feet up between two trees with the help of another Ham. I have looked at a number of mounts, but since this is a Leased car and not purchased, I can't drill holes in the roof. The RAV4 Hybrid Limited does not have a trailer hitch to use those types of antenna masts. How much is it to have a trailer hitch put on, as that may solve the HF antenna issue? I still need to have the shorter VHF/UHF antenna mounted at the roof line with grounded metal around it to act as the counterpoise at those radio frequencies, so I am still looking for a solution there.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Unfortunately this is all of the info I have on this here myself.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.Thanks Pete Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do I get a refund? See a local auto audio accessory shop is not an answer. I am a dentist and wish I could earn $27 just answering dental questions with "See your local dentist." As an acceptable answer.