Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech

2002 Toyota Sequoia stalls in drive. Have to have a scan tool

Customer Question

2002 Toyota Sequoia stalls in drive. Have to have a scan tool hooked to it to make it run. In drive it stalls, drop it in 1 and it will idle good.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I have the instrument cluster, radio, kick panels taken out looking for a pinch wire. Nothing.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Trace the wire harness from the fuse box outside to the alternator. That checked out good.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: No. I bought it used with that problem.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.When you have you scan tool connected are you able to run a scan and detect any fault codes? If you can get me any fault codes its setting I will see if I can help you determine the cause.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
P0773, P1125, P1128 & P1633
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
The codes P1125 and P1128 indicate a problem with the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) Motor usually resulting in a throttle body/motor replacement. You can check this with the test steps in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view them. transmission code P0773 can be set due to any of the following,Electronic Control Module (ECM)SL SolenoidWiring SL solenoid is located on the valve body. See its location in the link below. code P1633 in most cases set due to a failing ECM (computer) which is the first code I would deal with . This code in most cases means the ECM has failed as well.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When the vehicle is in first gear I can drive without any issues. When i put it in drive the vehicle wants to stall out an a banging noise comes from either the transmission or the engine. The throttle body was replaced an this is not a fly by wire.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
The code that needs to be addressed first is the P1633. A failing ECM can affect the engine as well as the transmission.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Have a computer. It is not allowing me to program. Half way through the programming it boots out. Even the Toyota scan tool.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
If its not allowing you to program it and you following the steps correctly then its likely a defective computer.