Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

I 2001 Toyota Corolla I had misfires on all four cylinders

Customer Question

I 2001 Toyota Corolla I had misfires on all four cylinders I change spark plugs and coil pack still have random tiny misfires until I step on the gas and they all go away I also have the eve app code P0441
Category: Toyota
Expert:  chevygeorge replied 6 months ago.
It sounds like you have a vacuum leak causing your random misfires. It would also explain your evap code p0441. When you step on the gas you are overcoming the vacuum leak. I would recommend you inspect your vacuum pipes and hoses for leaks. Pay special attention to what your might have disturbed in your previous repairs. Pay special attention to the intake manifold area. Soapy water in a spray bottle may help you locate a leak. You may have fixed your initial issue and caused another smaller issue. It may also be necessary to have the system tested with a smoke machine tester to find the leak.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Before I started I had the misfire and evaporate code
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What's the best way to smoke this through evaporate outlet or another way
Yes. This should be done through the test port with a dedicated evap tester with flow rate measurement.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What is a normal flow rate
P0441 is a evaporative leak a component found in the area of dotted lines. You need a scanner to close the purge and vent solenoids and pressurize the system to look for pressure loss. if it fails, then you use smoke to locate visually.
Expert:  chevygeorge replied 5 months ago.
I'm going to put your question back out there so other pros might respond. Thanks, George
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 5 months ago.
Hello, try replacing the evap purge vsv under the hood, it is attached to the hose with the green cap on it, these are known to intemittently leak causing extra air to get into the intake simulating a vacuum leak, I believe in that illustration it is called the vsv for evap, give that a try.