Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

It's about a toyota Vitz 2006 Japan import JA: Sometimes

Customer Question

Hi.. it's about a toyota Vitz 2006 Japan import
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: it is burning too much oil
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: hoping to target the issue more specifically instead of stat replacing all the gaskets till finding the problem
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: no nothing more.. other than it is an A/T if that matters
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please advise on the current odometer reading of your 2006 Vitz. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
130,000km
There is an ongoing issue with these cars when they go over 100,000. The oil control rings seize up due to carbon buildup. As the carbon builds up, it prevents the rings from spinning around the circumference of the pistons as it moves up and down in the block. That, and the high possibility of weakened valve seal operation due to hardening. The recommendation I have for you on this issue is to change to an engine oil that is specifically formulated for 'high mileage engines'. This particular motor oil has additives in it that soften the valve seals, which restores their ability to control oil, and will loosen the carbon buildup on the oil control piston rings. Changing the oil every 4,000 KM would also be recommended when switching to this motor oil.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I was hoping it could be a PCV valve. so what brand of oil do you recommend? can I just use additive to a common oil? and lasttly... could these oil control rings be easily replaced?
A PCV valve does not cause the engine to burn oil. The only way oil gets burned is when it gets into the combustion areas on top of the pistons where the fuel mixture ignites. Any brand of oil is OK, as long as it specifically states "Specially Formulated for High Mileage Engines" on the label. I would not use a generic additive.Regarding ring replacement, this is a job that requires the engine to be removed form the vehicle. Replacement of the rings would be considered part of a complete engine overhaul.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
so using this oil for how many cycles can usually make them work again ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
and actually when I say BURN oil I don't mean I can see it from the exhaust.. I havent observed it to clear this out be honest.. I just saw that level of oil goes half way after just 1000 miles 1600km or so
That depends on the severity of the situation, which we cannot tell without taking the engine apart. Under medium conditions, it would take about 4 to 6 oil change intervals to start to notice a decrease in oil consumption. If the oil is not leaking out onto the ground, visibly, the oil is being consumed ('burnt') by the combustion process.