Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine

My lift gate on my 2014 will not close JA: Sometimes things

Customer Question

My lift gate on my 2014 will not close
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: the lift gate on my 2014 Highlander will not close
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Sure
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just tried restarting the car, cleared all obstructions. Nothing has worked. It just beeps and says door open on the display up front
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Highlander.Are you able to close the lift gate manually?How many miles are on your Highlander?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes, I can manually close it but it will not latch. The display on the dash says it is open. The Highlander has 25,000 miles
So it sounds like just the latch is at fault and not grabbing hold to close... or is it also the lift gate struts that are not working?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am not sure. What do you suggest?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If I push the button to close it, there was a constant long beep...
Hmmm, the struts are a well know issue and there is a fix with updated parts that are covered by the Toyota warranty. Here is a post on it...It's hard to tell exactly what the problem is without being there. While we have seen alot of the struts go bad, we have not sen many latches. What I would do, and I know that this may not sit well, is to close the door as best is possible and have the Dealer fix it first thing in the a.m.I know that we keep these struts in stock because we replace so many (and wouldn't be surprised it there is a Recall in the future). Does this make sense?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes. Thank you
My pleasure and again am sorry to hear that this is happening. If you have more questions, please ask as I strive to give Excellent service. Also please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars), as it helps me.
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 5 months ago.
Were you able to get this fixed?