Kurt Kennedy
Kurt Kennedy,
Experience:  Shop foreman at Auto-Lab of Texas

09 rav 4. diagnosed by dealer as bad ac compressor. I replaced

Customer Question

09 rav 4. diagnosed by dealer as bad ac compressor. I replaced compressor,condenser,drier,and ac amplifier. still blows intermittent hot air. codes b1421,b1423
JA: Many things can cause trouble with the A/C. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: did you get my post?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Ac compressor,drier,condenser,ac amplifier have all been replaced. Still no cold air
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: codes b1421,b1423
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 5 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. Below are the diag steps for these codes. later one 1423 for the AC presser sensor can prevent the compressor from activating and moving the freon to produce cold air. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for the response. I provided you with the codes.All the diagnosis you gave me is a direct copy of what I have on all data. I have done all that diagnosis. As a Toyota mechanic, do you replace these parts often? I have checked and re-checked the pins and wiring to these components. everything checks out. Is there a common ground I am missing? Again, compressor,drier/condenser,expansion block,A/C amplifier replaced. Components for codes checked. This is a compressor that runs all the time. A/c charged to .99 lbs.
Are you saying the compressor is running?If it is are the evaporator lines at the firewall freezing cold?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
09 rav4. 2.5 compressor always runs. Does not have clutch.
Thanks for letting me know the liter, the 3.5 does have a clutch. Are the AC lines at the evaporator getting cold with the engine running and AC commanded on?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the A/c works fine,when it works.It is an intermittent problem. I was hoping a Toyota tech had run across this problem before.Possibly an ignition switch problem or hard to see ground. Upon start up, a/c works. Stop the vehicle, and it will sometimes work or not. All controls work and actuators work with a Modis input. All wires have been checked from ac amplifier to compressor.Pin check also. Ac amplifier has been replaced, along with new compressor.Proper oil amount.Evaporator and condenser/drier unit also new. .99lb charge. Gauges show good pressure.No leaks in system.Solar sensors work,as well as inside and outside temp sensors.All tested according to alldata. This is why I contacted you.Lol I am a Master Certified tech with 41 years experience, but I have to admit I am stumped on this one
I do not believe I can figure this out not in person. I will opt out and let another give it a shot.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Moose , thanks for your help. If nobody has run across this problem, could I be reimbursed?
Expert:  Kurt Kennedy replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I saw someone has tried to help you already. When you put these parts on, was the AC system put into vacuum for 90min. before charging the system back up with freon? Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have evacuated and charged system twice, to confirm the right amount of refridgerant was put in. Both times thirty minute vacuum. Why would 90 minutes make a difference on this system? The vehicle is one owner. Had factory charge. The vehicle is doing the exact same intermittent problem before I replace the components. Please read what I have posted to moose.
Sorry, I just saw the conversation between you and moose. Did you use a Toyota condenser when you replace this? We had a string of compressors going bad for a little while and isolated it to aftermarket condenser's. Also, what are the AC pressures at idle and when you hold it at 2k rpms what do the pressures do?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I cannot repeat this enough,sorry. It is doing the same thing as before. I do not see this as an AC charge or component problem.New system is doing same as old system. Very intermittent problem, Cools fine. I am thinking it is an ignition switch problem or something similiar.It seems to work until vehicle it shut down. Upon restart, it will work or not,until next key cycle.
I thought maybe you Toyota techs had run across this problem before. I understand you get questions from non professionals, but I am a Master Tech with 41 years experience. If this problem is isolated to this particular vehicle, and you have not run across it before, then I would like to be reimbursed . Thanks for your time and effort.
We can not help you, if you do not provide us the answers to the questions we are asking, since we are the toyota experts. There is a reason to the questions I am asking. Since you can not give me the answers to the questions I am asking, I am not going to be able to help you solve your issue. Good luck.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If the new system is doing the same as the old, how are your questions not being answered. The only question not answered is the pressure question. ALL components in ac system have been replaced. It is doing the same thing as before. If you have not run across this problem, admit it. You might have Toyota training, as I was BMW trained. You are not going to tell me you have never run across a very unusual problem,that was beyond the normal repairs. Just admit you do not know the solution to this problem and re-reimburse me my money. Thank you, ***** ***** need to read the posts in detail and take all things into consideration before stabbing in the dark at this problem. Either you have or have not run across this problem. All repairs were done by Toyota procedures and re-verified.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The pressure at idle are 28lbs low. 130 high. I don't know at 2k .Vehicle always has cold air when it works, and I withdrew 1lb of refrigerant. Specs call for .99-1.06 lbs. I charged to .99 lbs. I will have to get customer to return vehicle. The temps here are back down to the fifties,so the customer wanted vehicle back for now. If he AC works fine for an extended period, then quits, as with previous equipment, I don't see it as a charge problem. I will get you the reading, then you can give me the answer to my problem.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the customer is bringing back the vehicle today. I will give you ac pressures at 2k rpm. I have noticed on "Just Answers",this is a re-occuring problem posted by other people to your staff. One was a Rav4 posted to Pete. Another was a Corolla with same ac system posted to ddamato1986. These people had their vehicles at the dealer. You guys are the experts. This is not an uncommon problem with this system.Perhaps you can ask the other experts if they have solved this problem