Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

My 2008 Camry alarm keeps randomly going off. It is loud &

Customer Question

My 2008 Camry alarm keeps randomly going off. It is loud & disturbing. I stop it w my remote key, but it is a bother, especially at 3 or 4 in the morning, or when I am in a store. What can I do ?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, thank you
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Only the " open door" on my remote key. I usually keep my car locked when not driving. This alarm problem is fairly new. I take good care of my car, but this is maddening. I see, on Google that other people also have this issue w their Camry? Thx for ur guidance
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: No I frequently get it serviced & it it great, w approx 100,000 miles. I am ready for a new Camry soon. Oh yes, my hood light keeps saying " hood opened" when it isn't!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me ot assist you. The cause of your problem is a faulty hood switch in the latch mechanism. The hood latch switch performs 2 functions: it tells the instrument panel the hood is open (when lit) and tells the alarm that the hood is open (if someone raises it; this sets off the alarm). These switches were found to be faulty several years ago. Toyota has since released a new;y designed switch to cure this issue. Order a replacement hood latch/switch unit and have it installed. this will cure your problem. Order part number 53510-33311 if your Vehicle Identification number starts with a J (Japan built)Order part number 53510-06171 if your vehicle Identification number does not start with a J. (American Built)
Please confirm that you have received my input. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.