rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

Camery: How do u check a coil on 2002 toyota camry scanner

Customer Question

How do u check a coil on 2002 toyota camry scanner tells me to repla variable valve timing selinoid but car is not equipped with them i tonk i have a bad coil but but the back 3 coils u cant get to with out taken off upper intake and they are 4 wire coils
Category: Toyota
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teachautomotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Pleaseunderstand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problemwith the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computerdata/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; wejust diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch thevehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going todirect you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please bepatient and permit me to do what I do best.I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” inreturn. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If thereis any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so Ican go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help youthrough it. The true test of a coil would be with a lab scope, for any kind of a coil. See attachment.Thanks, Ron
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Any other way dont have access to lab scope
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 months ago.
There is no other way for accuracy.Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.Ron