Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Toyota: Have 2001 Toyota Tacoma surging at about 2200 RPMs

Customer Question

Have 2001 Toyota Tacoma surging at about 2200 RPMs replaced fuel filter air filters good cleaned the mass airflow sensor I believe just coming off the air filter. tried to clean take off module underneath the intake manifold has coolant going to it but wasn't able to get Phillips heads unscrewed so wasn't able to clean that part hoping it's not the fuel pump
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. What you most likely have is carbon buildup in the Idle Air Control valve. If this is happening, you will get a surge condition. This valve is located under the throttle body; it has 4 screws that attach it to the bottom of the throttle body. Take the throttle body off and remove the valve. If you see buildup of a black sooty substance, cleaning it will be of no avail. I recommend you replace the idle air control valve (the reason is we replace these all the time; they do fail quite often. I have personally tried to clean at least 50 or 60 to see if I could make them work again. I have yett to clean one out and have it work right)
Please confirm that you have received my input. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks u
If you have any other questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer