Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

Driving back from Santa Barbara to LA, 120 miles. Red warning

Customer Question

Driving back from Santa Barbara to LA, 120 miles. Red warning light came on and so did car with exclamation point in it. Just had all fluids replaced and topped last week.? Break pads are fine. For last 6 mos car alarm goes off for no reason, until I push unlock doors a few times.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Okay thanks. I want to just talk to someone to make sure I can make it back with these lights on.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing other than turning on and off car.
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: It's a 2004. Had catalytic converter replaced last month after someone stole it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 6 months ago.
Hello, thanks for posting You mentioned that it's a 2004 model, i assume that it's a Prius, is this correct , just want to,be sure before proceeding?Where are you located at this time, how far until your destination in L.A.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Prius. I have one more appointment I'm driving to in Santa Barbara, then LA. About 90 miles.
Thanks for mthe replyWarning lights turn on for a reason and in most cases should be addressed as soon as possible, beside the rad warning light is the check engine light on as well while the engine is running or driving the car?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes it's on while driving.
Thanks, ***** ***** recommend that you have the check engine light diagnosed to see what the fault codes are and at the same time have the 12 volt battery in the trunk tested, the check engine light may also be the reason for the other lights to turn on so it should be checked first as well as the 12 volt battery. In any case I would personally not try to drive it back with these lights on, if the 12 volt battery is the problem it may not make it for another 90 miles. Most auto repair shops like Pep Boys should be able to both check the battery and diagnose the check engine light, I'm here online most of the day if you need assistance concerning the outcome of the diagnostics.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just had Jiffy Lube service all fluids replaced and topped off. They did not flush transmission fluid.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Regarding 12v, could it lose power will driving?Okay, will stop by Pep Boys first.
Did the change the engine and inverter coolant?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
They topped off both. Did not flush.
Ok, go ahead and have Pep boys take a look at it unless you feel more comfortable going to the dealer there.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you.
You're welcome, best of luck.
Pleas take a moment to rate my assistance.