Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Toyota fj cruiser: i have a 4x4 suv. i put 1" spacers on all

Customer Question

i have a 4x4 suv. i put 1" spacers on all 4 tires, however front is now rubbing dramatically on tight turns. i want to know if taking off front spacers and leaving on back is ok? or harmful to car?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. If you want to continue using the spacers, you need to make the tires smaller. That is expensive. If I were you, I would remove the front spacers. And the rear spacers. In all honesty, one inch spacers do not really do that much good. If the tires are rubbing and you do not want to change them, remove the spacers. I would not leave the rears in place. Remove them too.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I was hoping for a different answer. I really want to leave the tears in place. I only want to remove front spacers. This will harm my 4x4?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Leaving the rears in place will not hurt the 4wd.
If you have anti skid and traction control, the different ride height will confuse the skid control operation.
Because the higher rear will cause more body lean compared to the front. It might be negligent but it is possible.
Negligible not negligent
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Why is the rear higher just because the tires are pushed out one more inch from spacer? I appreciate the honesty but I was hoping for more positive answer on keeping the rear spacers on only.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's 8:10am now, at 8:25am I'll be available for a quick phone conversation if you don't mind....***-***-****. Pease call me?
I cannot get to a phone right now, but will be available to discuss this with you this afternoon after 3 pm east coast time.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok. I was really hoping you could call me now I just got to the tire place. I guess I'm gonna take just the front spacers off for now. I really like the look of rears with the 1" spacers so I'm gonna keep that for now. The front rubs on tight turns and vibrates in steering wheel as I drive too so those are coming off. If you strongly advise against this please reply and let me know your feedback ASAP.
Pull the front spacers and leave the rears. Drive it and see if any of the abs/trac/skid lights come on. If not you are golden.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok cool
Sent phone call screen.