Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

My 1991 camry i can't get out of park unless i press the transmission

Customer Question

my 1991 camry i can't get out of park unless i press the transmission shifter at the same time as i am pressing the shift lock override button than i am able to drive it
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Thank you , The I can't get get out of th park unless I am pressing the shift lock button at the same time than i am able to release the shift out of park and drive on.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing yet but i think it may be somehting to do with the solinoid
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: This problem just happened after i installed a new battery as a result of an stop brake light that did not want to turn off
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please advise if the brake lights come on when you depress the brake pedal. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If the brake lights were staying on, this has most likely caused the shift interlock solenoid to fail. When the brake lights come on, the solenoid activates. It is not designed to be active for long periods of time. What has probably happened is the solenoid has overheated and the electrical coil has failed. This will require removal of the console & the entire shift lever assembly to access and replace the interlock solenoid assembly.