Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

Puff of smoke comes out of exhaust on initial startup. Does

Customer Question

Puff of smoke comes out of exhaust on initial startup. Does not smoke once car is running. It has been doing it almost the entire life of the car to come extent. However, lately the smoke is much thicker. The car has around 96k miles. I do all the 30k check ups and do all the oil changes a 5k. It does not appear to be consuming large amounts of oil and it is not running hot.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Would a new PCV value fix things?
JA: Anything else I can tell the Toyota Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: That's it.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Could you please indicate what model, year and engine size (4 or 6 cylinder) of your Toyota? Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2005 Toyota Camry LE 4 cylinder.
Thank you. One more question please. What color are the puffs of smoke? White, Blue, grey, etc? Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is light blue or greyish (I am color blind, but it is not white). Does not smell like burning antifreeze. Unfortunately, I know what that smells like(different older car issue).It smells light a light oil burn, kind of like when you start your lawnmower.
Ok. Thank you. A light blue puff of smoke is indicative of vale seal issues. Most likely, your valve seals are worn or hardened. Either way, oil form the back of side of the engine (the intake side) is seeping past the valve seals into the intake manifold as it sits overnight. When you start it, this bit of oil is drawn into the cylinders where it is ignited, coming out of the tailpipe as a puff of blue/oil-like smoke. Short of replacing the valve seals (expensive), I would recommend to you, if this car was in my shop, to switch to a 'high mileage' motor oil (labeled as such on the container). Thsi oil has additives in it to soften the valve seals (hot oil acts upon the neoprene-like makeup of the seals and causes the seals to no longer be as pliable as they once were). Change the high mileage motor oil every 3,000 miles. After 3-4 oil changes you should see a reduction it the puffs of smoke.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What about issues with a worn PCV value? Would that cause oil to be pulled into the intake manifold?
The PCV valve is designed to pull oil fumes from the crankcase into the engine. This occurs mainly when your driving, and you take your foot off of the gas pedal to decelerate. You would not have a high oil fume condition on a cold engine at startup. I would doubt highly the PCV is the issue.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer