Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

Will a pinion bearing that fails make the front left wheel

Customer Question

Will a pinion bearing that fails make the front left wheel of a 1994 toyota corolla lock up?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hi Brittany,The pinion bearing is in the transaxle, if has completely failed, the car may or may not be able to move.Has somebody already looked at your car and told you this?The lhf wheel bearing will not be affected by the pinion bearings.Hope this helps.Gary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes sir. I was told it needed a pinion bearing and seals. The car still pulls good but the wheel starts locking after a few inches of moving it. It shifts a bit harder now that something like this happened.
Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hi Brittany,Is yours a manual or auto transmission?I would reclassify their wording, since a pinion bearing is a BIG job, transmission rebuild.Do they mean a wheel bearing for the LHF wheel?Have they given you a price for this job?Gary
Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hi Brittany,I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.Please rate my service at your earliest convenience.Kind regardsGary