Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

When i try to put the shade down it makes a noise and vibrates

Customer Question

when i try to put the shade down it makes a noise and vibrates a little
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: it does the same when i put it into reverse. shade is up now
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: if possible they want close to $100 to diagnose,cant afford
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Toyota.Is this an Avalon we are dealing with?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
2007 avalon
These rear sunshades were very prone to this happening and are very costly to repair ($800). Is it stuck in the up position?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
what else do you need to know ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
is anyone there?
I need to know what position it is in and what it you want to do with it.I can tell you that its broken, needs to be replaced (they only come as an assembly), cost around $800 plus labor to install and that the rear deck lid will have to be removed to replace the assembly. I can also tell you that very few customers choose to fix this due to the high cost. I can help you get it into the down position and that way you can see out of the back window.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it is up idont care if it works again just get it down
Ok. You can see in this video of how the shade works (at the 1:18 mark) When you press the shade button, by the drivers left knee and it starts to operate, have someone in the back seat help those moving bars/legs of the shade move so that the shade son lower. Does this make sense?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes will do
My pleasure to help you and am sorry to hear that this happened. If you have more questions, please ask as I strive to give Excellent service. Also please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars), as it helps me.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thank you
My pleasure! Please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars), as it helps me.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i think we are finished
Thanks