Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

I have a 1999 Toyota Avalon XL with ~260k miles on it. I am the second

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Toyota Avalon XL with ~260k miles on it. I am the second owner, and bought it from my friend's grandmother. We both have always gotten oil changes every 3,000 miles at least. No real issues as far as how the car is running itself but about a month ago my check engine light came on for the PCV system. Like I said, there were no noticeable differences with how the car ran or smelled or anything so my plan was to not act until closer to when I will need my emissions tested again (sometime this year, MD car). Recently the weather went from cold and snowing to 70+ degrees and lately I have been noticing a smell coming from my engine more often when I use the A/C (which hasn't been used in months). No over heating or anything but I popped open my hood yesterday to check my oil and noticed sludge around my engine (not around the spark plugs though, more towards the bottom of the block) and when I checked the dipstick there was what appeared to be white smoke coming from the tube and it smelled horrible (burning oil I'm assuming). I'm not low on oil or anything. Just got the oil changed about 500 miles previous. All I need to know is whether or not I should bring my car in immediately or whether I can wait it out at all. I'm going to be going on a*****in the beginning of May and I need to know whether or not my car will make it in this condition. I've seen a lot of chat over Toyotas and "engine sludge" with a lot of different responses so I'm not sure what to do at this point. Most responses included pissed off customers who were blamed for not changing oil often enough even though they had. Many believed it was a flaw in the PCV system, which I already know I have an issue within. Thanks!
Category: Toyota
Expert:  roy replied 6 months ago.
good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist lets start with the code. what was the code??? there is no code for the pcv itself. codes identify areas of failure not parts failures. Roy
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm going to have to go by an Advanced again to get the exact code. The guy said it had something to do with emissions but he specifically said the PCV system? Sorry like I said I got the codes read a while ago when the light first came on but I didn't have any noticeable issues with the car up until yesterday. I can probably get you the codes at some point today but if not definitely tomorrow.
Expert:  roy replied 6 months ago.
ok, I am an instructor and am heading off to class. will be back about 3 or 4 eastern standard time. we can continue then.look forward to hearing from you and helping you roy
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will actually no longer be needing assistance with this problem. Thanks for your time.
Expert:  roy replied 6 months ago.