Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech

Toyota camary solara 2.2L: Having rough idle and stalling out

Customer Question

Having rough idle and stalling out of motor issues with my 2.2L 2000 toyota solara. Replaced ALL EGR related components, the IAC valve and just had timing belt and water pump replaced. Replaced spark plugs, wires as well. Spent over 1500 bucks chasing this issue so far. Could it be my coolant temp sensor?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question,There are some known issues with a failing Coolant temperature sensor (ECT) causing an intermittent stalling concern. Before you consider replacing it run the testing steps I have enclosed in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view them.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The code the Toyota dealer found on my car was code 505. They recommended i replace my ISC valve, which i did. When it comes to the coolant temp sensor, it's a cheap replacement. Just wanting your advice on what YOU think i should be looking at?
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Are you still setting the P0505 code?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I assume i am, since the problem hasn't gone away. All parts used have been OEM parts.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
One other thing you can do since you have replaced the IAC would be to disconnect the negative battery cable and then remove the throttle body and give it a good cleaning with some carb cleaner and a soft cloth. If the code still set then check the signal to the new IAC. See the steps in the link below to do this.