Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

My master warning light went on. Next to it was a check engine

Customer Question

my master warning light went on. Next to it was a check engine light. also a brake icon which has since gone out.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: this is a 2005 prius
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I can't afford not too.
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: before this happened the brakes were mushy but now there not. Siting in my garage in neutral it didn't seem able to restart the motor.t drove it to the store and it ran well. but the master warning light is still on.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The Prius product is a rather complex vehicle when it comes to diagnostics. In this car, there are several different computers, all of which, if they see any kind of fault, will illuminate the lights you speak of. The problem is determining what the cause actually is. What you need to do is get the car scanned. Without knowing the reason for the lights being one, one cannot possibly repair this vehicle. The scan will tell you exactly what system is affected. It is highly possible that the lights are on because of a loose fuel cap (this is the most common cause of the lights coming one). I would recommend you get the car scanned. Some auto parts stores perform vehicle scans for free (so they can sell you parts). Once you have the results of the scan (the 'codes'), further investigation and rectification of the issue will be a lot easier.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer