Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

Toyota Avalon: I have a 1999 Toyota Avalon that has a problem

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Toyota Avalon that has a problem with starting sometime. The car just turn over but want start. After a while the car will start. Can u tell me what could possibly be the problem with this 1999 Toyota Avalon XLS
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Avalon.When this happens, does it help it to start if you press the gas pedal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey sir first u stated that u have taken the remaining balance which is $15.00. Sir u have yet to answer my question concerning the problem i'm having with my toyota. Sorry it took so long to answer u back. The answer to your question do it help by placing the foot on the gas pedal. The answer is no. The engine just turn over but fail to crank. Then after taken the key out of the ignition for about 10 second the car will start
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey sir are u going to give me an answer to my last response
I apologize for the delay. Have you had a chance to pull codes from the computer?Have you had or made any repairs in trying to fix this concern yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No i have not pull codes from the compute nor have i made any repair to try to fix it
The problem tut we see on these older Avalons is that the IAC valve, which is located just under the throttle body sticks and goes bad. We usually try to clean them first via a Top Engine Cleaning. Most shops that offer this service charge about $70 to clean it.
Now it doesn't always work or does but for a short time. If that's the case, then the IAC valve will need to be replaced. That runs about $250.
Does this make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It worth try
Great! let me know how this goes and am here to help further if needed. If you have more questions, please ask as I strive to give Excellent service. Also please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars), as it helps me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey does the IAC valve stop the vehicle from cranking sometime. Like i said to u in my first and second response the car sometime fail to start for a while. After about three failed attempt the car start up
When you say failed to start.. do you mean that the engine doesn't even spin over?Or does it spin over but just not start?You could have more than one problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car spin over but fail to start that is correct
Then definitely yes, your IAC valve is the cause. Thank you for clarifying this point. Also please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars), as it helps me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I spin the car over three time before the car start up
Correct.