Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

I have a 2002 sequioa. It has been running great. Last week,

Customer Question

I have a 2002 sequioa. It has been running great. Last week, I turned the key over and it wouldn't start. All lights come on and the security light goes out, but nothing. I had it towed to garage....They started it right up !!...They checked starter, batteries, etc....All good. I ran it for a week or so. This morning it wouldn't start again. Same issue.
JA: There are so many things that can cause battery issues. Some simple, some complicated. The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Will the car start?
Customer: No
JA: Got it. The mechanic will have thoughts on how you two can troubleshoot and diagnose this issue. How old is the battery?
Customer: new
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: see above
JA: Anything else I can tell the Toyota Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 6 months ago.
Hello, thanks for posting This morning when it didn't start did the engine turn over and not fire up? Or did it do nothing at all, was there a clicking noise or other noises.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
they key simply turns over and the "dash lights come on"....There are no clicks or any noise once it gets to the on position.
It sounds "dead" but all the mechanical things check out; battery, starter, alernator.
Thanks for the reply, your answer is very important so I don't go in the wrong direction with this, it's a fairly simple problem, I just need to be sure, does the engine turn over when the key is turned to the start position, thanks.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Nothing happens when the key is turned to the ON position. No noises at all. The dash lights are on. No clicks, no sounds like it's trying to start @ all
Thanks it sounds like the electrical system is getting power but not the starter or the starter itself is the problem, I don't know how they checked the starter other than trying it a few times and determine that it's working at that time, on the V8 engine the starter is located in the center of the engine under the intake manifold and pretty hard to replace. There may be a problem with the neutral start switch located on the transmission so I think you should have that checked, it's going to be a little difficult if it's not consistent enough to trace the wiring and check voltages in and out of the switchTry moving the shifter back and forth a few times and try it in both park and neutral if that helps the neutral switch is most likely the problem even though the starter is a common problem.