sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Good morning Victor, I am working on an ‘05 Toyota Corolla

Customer Question

Good morning Victor,
I am working on an ‘05 Toyota Corolla that had a dead battery. The jumper cables were applied backwards - silly, I know, moving on - and when they were put on correctly the car was totally dead (the starter make a sound). We replaced the battery but still nothing worked so we then replaced a bunch of fuses (alt100, and a bunch of the small blade fuses under the hood and dash) and then everything worked except for the starter. We checked the starter relay and it looked fine and when we jumped the contacts on the starter solenoid the starter kicked on. I pulled the connector off the starter and checked the voltage of that vs ground on the battery terminal and got nothing even with the key in the ignition position. Also the "Security" light next to the steering wheel is not on so I don't think it is that. Do you know what would be causing this issue?
Thanks,
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Also, we tried to start the car in Neutral with a foot on the brake and still nothing.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!You may have quite a few things going on. Reversing polarity can instantly damage any module or electrical component, you may have at least one module that has failed.The starter relay receives power from the ignition switch on the coil side and receives ground from the alarm module. If the alarm module (TVIP ECU) isn't awake then it can't control the relay.Do you have access to a scan tool capable of communication with all modules?Are any fuses currently blown?