Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

Ok. Long question.. 2005 Toyota sienna, alternator went out

Customer Question

Ok. Long question..
2005 Toyota sienna, alternator went out 2 months ago, replaced it..
About a month ago car ran hot fast, by time I could get it pulled over it was redlined.. wouldn't start again so I didn't push it.. ended up after tearing it down to be a piston ring..
So, we changed rings, head gasket, upper intake, basically everything you would have to do to do piston rings.
Got it back together and it wouldn't start. Had no power to the interrior, checked and found a break in the fuse block, replaced it..
Still wouldn't start. Checked relays, fuses, etc... ended up being bad starter. Just changed the starter, now I get a click of the starter and what I can best describe as a clank when it tries to turn over... it's quick, it doesnt really "turn over" but after 2 or 3 tries it was like it drained power, quick... I had just charged the battery, after trying to crank it I put it back on the charger and it was down to 88%..
What the heck could I be looking at here and what's my next step????
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 6 months ago.
Hello, thanks for posting Is the engine able to be turned by hand using a wrench on the crank pulley bolt?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Hi Ted. Sorry have been sick, either flu or bad virus, and I have 4 little kids...

No, crank bolt won't budge. Also noticed that timing belt seems very tight....

Sorry, hope your feeling betterI don't think the timing belt is the problem, the engine should turn over using a wrench on the pulley, even with the spark plugs in you should be able to turn it until it comes up on compression where it will be harder to turn due to the combustion chamber compression, if the engine can't be rotated at all there is a serious problem, this is why the starter goes into the flaywheel but won't turn the engine.After the heads were put on were you able to rotate the engine crankshaft by hand to get it to top dead center before putting the heads on?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Well, see that's the problem. I had someone helping me. I know plenty to get by but on major jobs I'd be lost. We didn't turn it to TDC because nothing was moved. Cams were marked at their positions and everything was put back exactly like it was. But I questioned that as well..

Ok, if the engine can't be rotated at all it would seem that the bearings on the bottom end are seized, I really don't see how piston rings can be replaced without rotating the engine with the heads off, something just doesn't sound right here.