sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Toyota Highlander: I am trying to repair the side seal on the

Customer Question

I am trying to repair the side seal on the rear differential . The short shaft that connects the cv axle to the rear diff will not come out.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  roy replied 6 months ago.
good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist did you remove the bolts for the short shaft to the engine mount?? it is bolted to the engine at the mount. once those bolts are removed, it just slides out Roy
Expert:  roy replied 6 months ago.
how are you making out
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry, just got back from a trip to the dump.. The seal is in the rear diff. I have already replaced the pinion seal. I removed the cv shaft from the short shaft the enters the diff.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is the*****version of the Highlander.
Expert:  roy replied 6 months ago.
ok, so this is on the rear differential?? Roy
Expert:  roy replied 6 months ago.
can you post a picture???
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The side gear shaft sub assembly is the exact name of the part I cannot remove from the diff.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!The stub shaft is retained in the differential using a clip identical to what retains a CV shaft. Removing the stub shaft once the CV shaft is removed is just a matter of pulling outward quickly and with enough force to collapse the clip and get it out of the groove.What needs to be used for this is a slide hammer. An adapter needs to bolt to the flange and then the heavy weight of the slide hammer is slid outward quickly and with as much force as possible, and the shaft will come out. there is a special adapter for this, but you should be able to get a standard slide hammer kit to adapt to it.