Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

2004 Tacoma brake pedal is soft half way to floor. Pump 2-3

Customer Question

2004 Tacoma brake pedal is soft half way to floor. Pump 2-3 times and works. But keeping pressure on pedal in 2 seconds it is back half way to floor. Replaced master cylinder but problem still exists. Where to next?? Now they want to replace front calipers.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: It is at a local shop (not Toyota shop).
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: It is a 4x4 with a v6 extra cab.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hi there,I have had different makes of vehicle with that complaint.On most of, replacing the master cylinder fixes the issue.On the others, replacing the ABS hydraulic module fixes the issue.I cannot see why your shop would want to change the front calipers.A sinking pedal is a bypassing master or internal of ABS hydraulics.Hope this helps.Gary
Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hi again,How have you gone with your problem? I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.Please rate my service at your nearest convenience.Kind regards Gary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Gary
Pinching off the brake line right before the calipers made the pedal rock solid. We replaced the front calipers and the brakes work fine now, we have been driving the truck with no problems.Evan
Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hi Evan,Well the front calipers either were both seizing or weeping into the dust boots.Which is extremely odd for both fronts to be the cause for a sinking pedal.I'd like to pull those calipers apart for a look.All good now, and that's all that matters.Kind regards.Gary