Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I have a 2004 Highlander giving code P0016 Cam/Crankshaft Pos.

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Highlander giving code P0016 Cam/Crankshaft Pos. Correlation Sensor A - Bank 1. What should I do?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Rough idle, came in suddenly. The car was running great and while stopped at a traffic light a small stump was heard under the hood and the idling started to go bad.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Toyota Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
hi im kevin this code suggests that the engine timing is off and this will need to be investigated .its likely that there is a problem with the timing chain/belt .I would not run engine before this is checked as further damage may be caused
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am calling so you can tell me what and how to check. I already knew what you told me. What do I need to do?
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
you need to remove timing covers and check timing
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How?
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
I don't have specific info for your model il opt out another tech may have this
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 months ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** engine do you have in this?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
2004 Toyota Highlander V6, 3.3ltr, VVT-i, automatic.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When I was writing the last message I clicked on the "see how" button instead of the "send" and I lost the connection. I did get it back a while after that and was successful sending the response. I fix my own car and did the timing belt replacement about 5k miles ago. The Highlander has 125k miles on it and has been very dependable. These symptoms have popped up 5k miles after the belt swap so I tend to believe that the swap was made right but something must have come loose. I need you to walk me through the trouble shooting process. Thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 months ago.
ok, this is almost always caused by the timing being off, would you like the procedure for removing the cover and checking the timing belt for proper alignment?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 months ago.
below is the procedure,Tim
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 months ago.
Is this what you were looking for?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Tim, I won't be performing the fix untill next week (Monday). It seems very thorough. I'll get back to you. ¡Gracias amigo!
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 months ago.
Anytime my friend, Please dont forget to rate me, so I can get credit for helping, yu can come back to this question at anytime, and ask follow up questions at no charge,Thanks,Tim