Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

The hatchback on my prius is open and the latch is in locked

Customer Question

the hatchback on my prius is open and the latch is in locked position so I can't close hatch
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else I can tell the Toyota Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no, we are packing for a trip so we need to be able to close it tonight!
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. If your model has a latch release handle or lock cylinder or electronic release try and operate these releases to see if the latch then opens.You may have to use a flat blade tool or similar at the same time when trying to open the latch to help force the latch open to then be able to close the hatch on your model here.if this does not work here let me know. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete