Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Sequoia: I have a 2002 Toyota Sequoia and the last few nights

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Toyota Sequoia and the last few nights the running lights (front side lights, rear side lights, and dashboard lights) have turned themselves on. Unlocking the car and playing with the switches didn't turn them off. Starting the engine and turning that off didn't help, but driving the car around the block did.
Tonight I found that if I moved the light switch fro, "auto" to "off" I could turn the lights off by turning the ignition switch a couple of clicks and then removing the key.
I also found that even with this workaround they came back on when I used the key fob to lock the car but not when I used the key. It is definitely due to the sun going down as the lights are not in during the day.
The car has not been driven for a week or so, and the battery is still well charged so I think I've caught the situation early.
There seems to be a lot of variables here, but does this sound familiar?
Can you help?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 8 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. With the headlight switch off and the lights remaining on, unplug the headlight switch. If the lights remain on then remove the tail light relay in the instrument panel fuse box. OHM test pin 1 to ground. If this pin is grounded then its your body ECU that is faulty. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
To unplug the headlight switch do I find a harness for the steering column switch or just remove the fuse for the headlights?
You would need to physically unplug the switch as if you were replacing just the headlight switch.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The sequoia seems to have at least 4 DRL relays. Which one are you suggesting I pull out?
The tail light relay is the only relay your removing and testing at.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, but it's not just my tail lights that are on. The dashboard and the front running lights are also on at night.
The tail light relay controls them all.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok great, so pin #1 should be continuous with the ground, if it's not the relay is faulty?
With the lights on when they should not be. You do not want to see ground at pin 1. If you do then the ECU is bad, if you do not then the relay is bad.
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 7 months ago.
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because the post was not rated and or you need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option for an additional fee to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris