roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

Toyota Yaris: 2007 Toyota Yaris. Screeching sound when starting

Customer Question

2007 Toyota Yaris. Screeching sound when starting only. changed starter, belt and alternator. Still have the problem.
What's next?
Thanks for your assistance.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 7 months ago.
hello, thanks for posting your questionIs this noise there everytime it is started or intermittent? Is it only while the starter is turning or a few seconds after it starts and runs?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Frequently yet intermittent. Louder when engine is cold. Only when starter engages. No noise when engine is running.
Got me mystified, Ted.
Thanks, ***** ***** I know what the problem is, you'll need to remove the starter again, look inside the opening at the flywheel ring gear where the starter gear engages, have someone slowly rotate the engine while you inspect the ring gear teeth, use a flashlight if necessary, I think you will find a spot on the flywheel teeth that shows some damage, this causes the starter gear not to engage with the teeth on the flywheel and just grind some more on the damaged part. The next time it happens just turn the engine a little by hand and I think it will crank without making that noise.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If not corrected will this cause additional damage or can I just live with it?What's the worse case scenario? Potentially serious or just a nuisance?
Expert:  roy replied 7 months ago.
good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist do you still need help??
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Roy,Based on Ted's diagnosis is the problem a problem or just a nuisance. If I don't follow Ted's advice will there be a progressive damage or if I do nothing will it be just an intermittent noise problem?Thank you for your input.
Expert:  roy replied 7 months ago.
do you still want to talk on the phone??
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, unless an answer by email is not possible and if that is the case...why not?
Expert:  roy replied 7 months ago.
no e mail, just here. ok, hang on Roy
Expert:  roy replied 7 months ago.
ok, your request failed for payment. if you fix that, we can talk. as far as the noise goes, was there any damage to the old starter motor??? especially on the nose??? Roy
Expert:  roy replied 7 months ago.
how are you making out
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No reason my CC and Pay Pal acct both were not accepted. Will look into this tomorrow.
Expert:  roy replied 7 months ago.
ok