sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2006 Camery. We replaced the battery and now

Customer Question

Hello. I have a 2006 Camery. We replaced the battery and now the car will crank but not start. The folks at Autozone said it might be a security lock out that needs to be reset. Is this possible?
JA: There are so many things that can cause battery issues. Some simple, some complicated. The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Will the car start?
Customer: The battery is new and everything powers up. The starter turns, but the car won't start.
JA: Got it. The mechanic will have thoughts on how you two can troubleshoot and diagnose this issue. How old is the battery?
Customer: Brand new
JA: Anything else I can tell the Toyota Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: I think that's it
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!There are may things that will cause a no start situation. It could be a lack of fuel pressure due to a pump or wiring issue, a lack of spark due to a cam or crank signal issue, wiring, possibly even incorrect cam timing. Fuel contamination or an exhaust restriction are also possible causes but there should have been a power loss leading up to it not starting.Are you actually seeing a security light flashing or staying on solid now?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The security light is flashing
Do you have an aftermarket alarm?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No after market alarm
What has been done to try and disarm it?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Nothing. I'm not sure how to do that
Do you have a functional key fob?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes
Pressing the unlock button will disarm security if the system is working correctly.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We tried that but it wouldn't work. We found a back up key and tried starting the car with it. Surprisingly, it worked. Must have been something wrong with other key
Yes, if it starts with another key then the problem was the first key you were using, rather than the issue being related to the battery disconnect.